Saturday 15 March 2014

Rejected By Sunday Times Style

Tomorrow, I've somehow managed to get a piece in Sunday Times Style.  I know?  It's a piece about a man's perspective on whether attitudes towards courtship have changed.

This is what I first wrote, which was totally panned.  However, it was later picked up by this blog.

Nostalgia fest.  Get ready.
___________________________________

Macy’s was a popular nightspot – frankly the place to be.  It was above a bowling alley every Friday on an edge of town trading estate in Nottingham.  They did foam parties and at the end of the night, you would stickily walk to your parent’s car.  Often by 9pm, the sun had not even started to go down.  We were 13 and the party was shamelessly referred to as a ‘nappy night’.

The ritual of courtship at these nights was not subtle.  On seeing someone you liked, you would tell a friend who’s job it was to see if they liked you back.  There was no discussion, instead they would immediately go over to ask the recipient of your affection “will you get off with my mate?”.  You were then inspected.  We later worked out that at this point a second friend was helpful so you could fake a conversation – otherwise you were left standing awkwardly, a mess of hair gel and lynx, as you awaited the verdict.  Like Tinder you would try and look your best, unlike Tinder you had to witness your rejection.  It builds character.

The goal of these nights was always to kiss as many people as possible.  On the drive home, we would compare notes and numbers – I think my PB was 5.  Nobody ever beat Lee Taylor’s 32.  He eventually contracted glandular fever. 

I do not recall there being a difference of approach between the genders.  Maybe girls were more selective, but certainly they were as likely to approach someone they liked, no stigma attached.  Hey – it was 1998, Geri hadn’t quit the band and ‘girl power’ was ringing loudly in our ears.

Friends just a few years older tell me that when they were at school, there were definitely more ‘traditionally’ defined gender roles to courting.  Julie who would have been 13 in 1989 tells me you were basically Madonna if a girl asked out a boy.   Raunchy.  However, she never went to a nappy night, being more a of a village hall sort of girl.  Perhaps I am just more cosmopolitan.

These days, I find people a little bit backward if they think women should wait to be chased.  I was recently performing at a speed-dating night and one of the other acts booked was an academic doing a talk on ‘The Psychology of Attraction’ (it was a science themed speed dating night).  He was awful.

After spending a long time clearing his throat, the lecturer began his talk by describing women as some sort of uncatalogued species, not yet fully understood and best approached with caution.  He certainly did not betray much field experience.  It then turned out he had not finished clearing his throat at all, and the rest of his talk to the aghast audience was almost endless phlegmy noises done unapologetically noisily down a mic, punctuated by what seemed to be tips from “The Game”.

“HARRUMPHHYAGUUAUAHSHSANANAHUH… Negging involves hurting women with back handed compliments so you can then build up their confidence e.g. “They’re nice nails, are they fake?”.”

No wonder women would stop ‘waiting to be chased’ with the creeps like this dropping clumsy insults to try and manipulate them into bed, instead of just talking to them.


My friend Polly (13 in 2001, early Britney Spears fan) tells me I am definitely wrong.  On the dating app Tinder she is definitely warey of being the first to initiate conversations as it is against the rules.   Although she does miss the fact that before you can speak to people, you’ve already ‘swiped right’ to say that you like them.  Tinder is a bit like that friend at Macy’s but only comes back with the good news.  Nevertheless, I have apparently been oblivious to this sexual etiquette, probably because I am more concerned with the ebb and flow of my own desirability, trying to look cool while I wait to see who likes me – can I afford dinner in that restaurant?  Is that person funnier?  Is this confident act working…  I am not really bothered about the rules, I just want to like someone who likes me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment